Salade Niçoise (pronounced “sah LAHD nee SWAHZ”) hails from Nice in the South of France. Traditionally featuring tuna, olives, capers and tomatoes, the recipe can be adapted to suit your tastes. Try it with seared tuna fillets or blanched green beans; anchovies may also be included. This salad is best enjoyed with a glass of chilled white wine and your favorite dining companions.
- 1 T shallots, finely minced
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 2/3 - 3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 lb fresh green beans, blanched & still warm
- 1 sm red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 4 sm boiled potatoes, sliced into wedges
- 4 T vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 T shallots, minced
- 1 head of butter lettuce, chopped into large pieces
- 2 3-oz canned chunk white tuna, preferably oil-packed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced into wedges
- 1 tin of flat anchovy fillets
- 1/3 C small black brine-cured olives
- 3 T capers
- 1/4 C fresh parsley, minced
Add all vinaigrette ingredients to a leak-proof plastic bowl with lid and shake to combine. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, add green beans, onion, tomatoes, potatoes, 4 T of vinaigrette and minced shallots; toss to combine. Place lettuce in the bottom of 4 bowls and spoon salad mixture over lettuce. Place equal amounts of tuna and egg on salad and top with 1 or 2 anchovy fillets. Spoon remaining vinaigrette over each bowl; finishing with olives, capers and parsley.
- Makes 6 servings.