Eight Precious Vegetable Stir-Fry
Here is a tempting vegetarian entrée, very quick to prepare. It was created by celebrity chef Martin Yan, who helped prepare the menus for Viking’s China ships; it appears in his Quick & Easy cookbook.
- 1 T cooking oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 C carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1/2 C jicama, peeled & sliced
- 1/2 C lotus root, peeled & sliced
- 8 Chinese long beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 heads baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- 8 small shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 T water
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1-inch diamonds
- 4 asparagus spears, trimmed & thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 C vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 tsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 T oyster-flavored sauce
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 4 tsp cold water
Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Place a wok or large skillet over high heat until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add carrots, jicama, lotus root, long beans, bok choy and mushrooms; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add water, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and asparagus and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add sauce and cook, stirring until sauce boils and thickens.
- Makes 4 servings.