Viennese Crescent Cookies
Featured in bakeries throughout Vienna, these traditional butter cookies complement a cup of good, strong coffee. This recipe calls for almonds, but you can substitute walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans.
- 1 C (230 g) butter, softened plus extra for greasing
- ½ C (96 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 g) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 g) almond extract
- 3 lg egg yolks
- 1 C (85 g) ground almonds
- 1 C (125 g) all purpose flour
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease baking sheets or line with parchment.
Beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add extracts and egg yolks; beat until creamy. Add almonds; stir to combine. Gradually fold in flour with a spatula until completely combined. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour to chill. Working with a quarter of the dough at a time (keeping the rest refrigerated) roll out about a spoonful of dough at a time into a 1½-inch log; shape log into a crescent and pinch the ends. Transfer to prepared sheets. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until firm to the touch but still pale. Remove from oven and dust with confectioners’ sugar while still hot. Once cool, store in an airtight container.
- Prep time: 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Cook time: 12-16 minutes.
- Makes about 30 cookies, depending on size
- Nutritional info (amount per serving)
- 88 calories
- 7 g carbs
- 37 mg cholesterol
- 7 g fat
- 1 g protein
- 2 mg sodium